NEW AND REVAMPED
Warriors Of Light
Thursday, February 28, 2008 @ 11:22 PM
Psalm 57: Steadfast Heart.

Pastor YC's insight into Psalm 57: Outline the Psalm for Study

Spotting the outline in Psalm 57 is helpful in studying it. The anchors come from the refrains in verses 5 & 11.

"Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth."

Lament

Prayer for Protection
PS 57:1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
Prayer for Vindication, Love & Fidelity (Faithfulness)
PS 57:2 I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me.
PS 57:3 He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me; Selah God sends his love and his faithfulness.
The Enemies
PS 57:4 I am in the midst of lions; I lie among ravenous beasts-- men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords.

Refrain
PS 57:5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.




Thanksgiving

The Enemies
PS 57:6 They spread a net for my feet-- I was bowed down in distress. They dug a pit in my path-- but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah
Thanksgiving for Strength
PS 57:7 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
PS 57:8 Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.
Thanksgiving for Love & Fidelity (Faithfulness)
PS 57:9 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
PS 57:10 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.



Refrain
PS 57:11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.


***
My thoughts:

The context of this psalm is probably 1 Samuel 24, because the background of this psalm says "when David had fled from Saul into the cave."

This was when David had a chance to kill Saul when Saul went into the cave to shit. Yet because he didnt want to touch God's anointed, he only cut off a corner of Saul's robe. You can catch the hint in verse 6.

6 They spread a net for my feet—
I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path—
but they have fallen into it themselves.

The verse that spoke to me was
7 My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.

What does it mean to be steadfast?

Can you understand what David is going through? This was the best chance for him to rid himself of all the threats and pursue, and his enemy was standing right in front of him ready for him to kill... but he didnt!

What does it mean to be steadfast?
A lot of times we give in to our temptations too easily.
That lust of the eye.
Lust of the flesh.
Pride of life.

We give in too cheaply to temptations without even giving a fight.
Just like David had to fight against his own pride, because in one swoop, he could have killed Saul and ascended the throne.

Yet he didnt.
David was steadfast in his conviction to God. DO NOT TOUCH God's anointed.

In the passion of Christ, the director Mel Gibson took it upon himself to add this line to Jesus, as he is preparing to receive the scourging (whipping).

7 My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;

Jesus was steadfast. Our lives are worth it, worth all the pain and sufferings He had to go through.

In response...
Are you willing to be steadfast and abide in God's commands?
Purity and obedience to God's word?

Labels: