A scan at the names used by the psalmist to describe God reveals His nature:
Strength (v9, 17); Loving (v10,17); Shield (v11); Fortress (v9, 16); Refuge (v16)
V16 sums it all up:
PS 59:16 But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. It takes a while, but take time to let the names of God impact you and me. The God who is loving and strength (at the same time). He whom I use (as a shield) to block off attacks and the fortress in whch I hide when enemies surround. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of each of these "characteristics" of God have we experienced? *** My thoughts:
The context of this psalm is found in 1 Samuel 19. Saul became jealous of David because the people were singing that David has slain more enemies than Saul. "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands."Because of Saul's jealousy, his life is opened to attacks of Satan. Though his son Jonathon pleaded with him that David was really loyal, and rationally in his mind, he agreed, because he allowed Satan a foothold because of his jealousy, an evil spirit tormented him (I believe is the spirit of pride). Usually David is able to calm him down with his harp-playing. That night Saul was unable to control himself and tried to spear David. This psalm was written that night as Saul posted soldiers to ensure David does not escape. The point that caught my eye was this: 11 But do not kill them, O Lord our shield, or my people will forget. In your might make them wander about, and bring them down. 12 For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter, 13 consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more. You know, sometimes I wonder why God allowed Satan to survive until the day of judgement. If Satan were to be destroyed straight away, wont it be that Man would never have a chance to be tempted or fall into sin? In the same way, why dont God straight away zap away our sins and struggles? Sometimes He does, but more often than not, it's a process of struggling against sin, and learning to allow God to deal with us and cleanse us. It is a long-drawn process. And why is it that we have the same propensity to sin, whether it's 10 year's journey walking as a christian or just a 1-day-old-newborn christian? Why dont God remove the thorn in our flesh? I believe the answer is that God wants us to know we have to constantly and totally rely on Him.To know that we cannot live without Him. 11 But do not kill them, O Lord our shield, or my people will forget. The apostle Paul said it aptly: 2 Cor 12 7To keep me from becoming conceited (proud) because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.Labels: Journey Through Psalms
|
|
|
A scan at the names used by the psalmist to describe God reveals His nature:
Strength (v9, 17); Loving (v10,17); Shield (v11); Fortress (v9, 16); Refuge (v16)
V16 sums it all up:
PS 59:16 But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. It takes a while, but take time to let the names of God impact you and me. The God who is loving and strength (at the same time). He whom I use (as a shield) to block off attacks and the fortress in whch I hide when enemies surround. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of each of these "characteristics" of God have we experienced? *** My thoughts:
The context of this psalm is found in 1 Samuel 19. Saul became jealous of David because the people were singing that David has slain more enemies than Saul. "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands."Because of Saul's jealousy, his life is opened to attacks of Satan. Though his son Jonathon pleaded with him that David was really loyal, and rationally in his mind, he agreed, because he allowed Satan a foothold because of his jealousy, an evil spirit tormented him (I believe is the spirit of pride). Usually David is able to calm him down with his harp-playing. That night Saul was unable to control himself and tried to spear David. This psalm was written that night as Saul posted soldiers to ensure David does not escape. The point that caught my eye was this: 11 But do not kill them, O Lord our shield, or my people will forget. In your might make them wander about, and bring them down. 12 For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. For the curses and lies they utter, 13 consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more. You know, sometimes I wonder why God allowed Satan to survive until the day of judgement. If Satan were to be destroyed straight away, wont it be that Man would never have a chance to be tempted or fall into sin? In the same way, why dont God straight away zap away our sins and struggles? Sometimes He does, but more often than not, it's a process of struggling against sin, and learning to allow God to deal with us and cleanse us. It is a long-drawn process. And why is it that we have the same propensity to sin, whether it's 10 year's journey walking as a christian or just a 1-day-old-newborn christian? Why dont God remove the thorn in our flesh? I believe the answer is that God wants us to know we have to constantly and totally rely on Him.To know that we cannot live without Him. 11 But do not kill them, O Lord our shield, or my people will forget. The apostle Paul said it aptly: 2 Cor 12 7To keep me from becoming conceited (proud) because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.Labels: Journey Through Psalms
|
|
|
By post:
Psalm 58: Rule in Justice
Psalm 57: Steadfast Heart
Apologies for delay
Psalm 56: Reactive or Proactive Faith?
1 hour with God
Psalm 55: People-reading
Psalm 54: 甘心祭献 (Freewill Offering)
Psalm 53: Law 2 of the 4 Spiritual Laws
Psalm 52: 逃亡但坚定
Psalm 53
By month:
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
|
Sk's cell
Elkan
Dawn's Cell
Wai Mun
Credits
Layout: Mary
Adapted from: refuted
Icon: refuted
Host: blogger photobucket
|
dennis
jeremy chia
jeremy fong
bryan
gabriel
samuel
 Adopted Trees.
|
ShoutMix chat widget
|