NEW AND REVAMPED
Warriors Of Light
Sunday, March 30, 2008 @ 9:43 PM
Psalm 89: 言出必行.

Ps YC's insight into Psalm 89: I WANT!

Long psalm! 52 verses! I scanned through it and identified 3 parts:

  1. v1-18: God's kingship
  2. v19-37: Covenant with King David
  3. v38-51: Lament (seemingly contradicts v19-37)
  4. v52: Conclusion (v38-51 is not contradicting after all, it must have been the raw feelings of the psalmist when things were not going well)
What spoke to me was God's love for David, as outlined in v28-34.

I replaced "David" with my name - and man, would I love to be in that position!

PS 89:28 I will maintain my love to Yeang Cherng forever, and my covenant with him will never fail.


PS 89:30-33 "If Yeang Cherng's sons forsake my law and do not follow my statutes, if they violate my decrees and fail to keep my commands, I will punish their sin with the rod, their iniquity with flogging; but I will not take my love from Yeang Cherng, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.


God, I WANT!
***
[My thoughts]
As what pastor mentioned, this psalm seemed to be like a contradiction:
First part talks about God's awesomeness and faithfulness, then it went on to describe God's covenant with David, and in the same breath, laments God's wrath on his anointed one.

On hindsight after Jesus came and died for us on the cross, we can see the beauty of it all:
Nothing contradicted. In the same breath as God confirming He will establish David's line, God demonstrated it by showing that Jesus, the Anointed One must suffer and die.

One central theme that encouraged me:

29 I will establish his line forever,
his throne as long as the heavens endure.

30 "If his sons forsake my law
and do not follow my statutes,

31 if they violate my decrees
and fail to keep my commands,

32 I will punish their sin with the rod,
their iniquity with flogging;

33 but I will not take my love from him,
nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.

34 I will not violate my covenant
or alter what my lips have uttered.

No matter how far I can turn away from God, how much I sinned against God or how hardened my heart can be, even though I may have to suffer the consequence of my sin, nothing can rob God's love for me.

Such awesome realization!

A lot of times we equate love and acceptable with blessings or punishment.
In God's sight, these are 2 different things.

Which means that even though I am entirely detestable in His sight, He chose to love and accept me.
Wow. Thank you Lord for your faithfulness!

Labels: